Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hi everyone!

Welcome to my blog.  Hopefully I'll have something interesting to say before the semester is over!

I've been a nurse for 25 yrs and have done a little of everything along the way.  People often ask me which area is my favorite - I tell them all of them!  I've learned and grown in each job I've had.  Each job has made me a better nurse and brought me to where I am today (well, maybe not quite here to the blogging stuff!).

I use technology all the time, but this is my first attempt at blogging.  I'm sure I'll learn a lot from everyone else.  See you guys soon!

8 comments:

  1. Tawni,Good Job getting your blog up and going. This is all very new to me also. Thanks for being such a great friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized I needed to add more to my initial comments - it was late last night!

    I'm in the ANP/GNP distance program - third semester.

    As an APRN it is very important to be able to manage information efficiently. There is so much information and it changes continuously. Without information management skills it would be impossible to keep up.

    The company I work for (several of us actually) had been named number one for integration multiple times so IT is pretty much number one. It makes it nice to be able to access information on a patient who has been seen anywhere in our system. This provides for much better continuity of care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are well connected :). Welcome and nice picture, tell me a little more about your program of study.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tawni, I like your name; it's unique. I am impressed that you have 25 years of clinical experiences. I like the cute baby picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue!
    Sorry, I'm just getting around to checking my blog. I mentioned above I'm in the distance DNP - ANP/GNP program. This is my third semester. Is there additional information I should mention? Three years seems very far away......
    Off to pharmacology! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tawny,
    Sorry I gave the wrong blog address. I'm so glad to see you in gerontology and also in the other NP classes. I learn so much from you. See you soon.
    Lauri Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tawni,
    Good to meet you. I too have done a little of everything over 20 years of nursing and am now going back to school so I can teach. Two years for me also seems far away, but it will come anyway, right? We might as well be doing something worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Module 3

    For this module I searched PubMed, CINAHL, and Google Scholar. I have not used PubMed much because I always found it difficult to use. With the tutorial I had more success but I still struggled with exporting my citations into EndNote -- but I did manage to do it (Yeah!). I've used CINAHL often and I am able to find relevant data when I do my searches. It is also very easy to export citations to EndNote through EBSCOhost. I've used Google Scholar quite often. I find it sometimes gives me a good starting point when I haven't quite decided what I'm looking for.

    Pub Med: Once I set some limits for my search, most of the articles were relevant for what I was looking for. I then searched using MeSH terms, this narrowed my search a little more, it didn't really change the amount of articles that were relevant for me. I'm still pretty uncomfortable with PubMed - so I need to practice more.

    CINAHL: This was quick and easy for me since I have used it so often. Most of the articles I found were relevant. One thing that I really like about CINAHL is you can select "peer reviewed" as a search criteria, of course - everything is PubMed is peer reviewed.

    Google Scholar: As I already said, sometimes I like to start with this when I haven't quite decided yet what I want to look for. You do get an overwhelming amount of results quite often, but I usually only go through the first 10 or so. This is usually enough to give me some good ideas on where I want to go next.

    ReplyDelete