What sort of teaching is done in your professional role?
I do lots of teaching all the time. Not only do I do education with my patients, but I do with my colleagues at work – in my clinic and other clinics; and those I interact with on the phone. I really enjoy seeing people learn and grow, becoming more self-reliant. I do healthcare related teaching, along with other things….like how to tell a reliable website!
Is there any nursing/health care provider role that does not involve teaching in some manner?
I don’t think it’s possible for someone to be in healthcare and not teach. We all teach all the time. We don’t have to be going into education to teach. We teach our patients, we teach each other, we teach all those we interact with.
I know what you mean Tawni, we all use it everyday in our practices. If I'm not learning something new everyday, it wasn't a good day for me. It's important to remember our patients don't have the same kind of learning processes, so we need to be able to communicate the information to their level of understanding.
ReplyDeleteLauri Morgan
Good points Tawni. Yes, as you and Lauri point out teaching is very much an integral part of nursing, we teach all the time in formal and informal settings.
ReplyDelete